The bridge from Hellegat to Hoekse Waard

In 1957 the working port near Willemstad was ready to be used. In 1957 and 1958 the western part of the closing gap was closed by caissons. When the bridge to the Hoekse Waard was finished in 1964, people could drive from Zeeland to South-Holland by car. In 1967 two locks were finished. It took three more years before a road was built over this eastern part of the dam.

The bridge over the Volkerak was made of iron and stood on ten piers. As a result of this construction, the bridge was too low for a yacht to pass. To overcome this, part of the bridge was able to be open. This could cause traffic jams during summer time, because the bridge would open twice a day.

Before the roads over the Volkerak dam were finished, people who lived around the Volkerak could only reach each other via boat. The dam and the bridge put a change to this. The Hoekse Waard, Goeree-Overflakkee, and the western part of Brabant now had a much faster connection than before. Besides being part of the Delta works, the Volkerak dam was also an important traffic junction. The point where the three parts of the dam come together is called Hellegats square. The success of the junction was so big that there are few traffic jams nowadays. The travelling times from Zeeland to South-Holland were reduced spectacularly. Inhabitants of the Schouwen-Duiveland could for instance travel to Rotterdam via the Volkerak dam and the Grevelingen dam, whereas in earlier times they would have had to use the ferry to Tholen and then travel over the land. For the same reason, the dam was successful for the inhabitants of South-Beveland and Walcheren, particularly as there was no highway in the direction of Bergen op Zoom at that time.